20 Interesting Facts about Bees
Interesting Rare Facts about Bees
Bees are one of the six-legged flying insects. They suck the honey from the flower and store it in the hive. Let’s have a look at interesting facts and rare information about such bees:
20 Interesting Unknown Facts about Bees
1. Bees are the only insect species capable of producing edible food for humans.
2. A bee weighs 0.00025 pounds. Four thousand bees add up to one pound.
3. A hive contains about 50,000 bees, weighing about 12 pounds.
4. A bee produces about 1 tablespoon of honey in its lifetime.
5. Bees fly 12 miles per hour.
6. Bees have to fly 1,44,000 kilometers to produce 450 grams of honey, which is equivalent to circling the earth three times.
7. Bees secrete eight pairs of glands at the base of their abdomen to produce the beeswax they need.
8. Bees visit fifty to a hundred flowers at a time to gather honey.
9. There are three types of bees: The queen bee, the worker bee, and the male bee (drone bee).
10. The queen bee is the largest bee in the colony (honeycomb). They live for two to three years and can lay up to 2500 eggs in a single day.
11. If the queen bee leaves her colony, it will be known to the other bees within 15 minutes.
12. Male bees die after mating.
13. Only female bees have pollen, not male bees.
14. Bees need to consume 10 kg of honey to produce half a kg of honey.
15. Bees never sleep.
16. Honey is 80 percent sugar and 20 percent water.
17. Bees beat their wings 11,400 times a minute, which is why they make a buzzing sound when they fly.
18. Bees are able to keep their hive clean. Only the queen bee defecates in the hive and the worker bees clean it immediately.
19. Old bees don’t die inside the hive, they just go outside anyway.
20. There are more than 20,000 species of bees on continents other than Antarctica.
Thank you for reading these Interesting Unknown Facts about Bees. We hope today you know something useful!
Images Credit: pixabay.com