24 Interesting Facts about the Oceans
Interesting Facts about the Oceans
The ocean is full of surprises beyond our imagination. Earth’s oceans are a world of wonder, mystery and beauty. Here are some surprising facts about the ocean… which will make you proud of our earth…
24 Interesting Unknown Facts about the Seas
1. Over 70 percent of Earth’s land area is covered by ocean water.
2. 94 percent of Earth’s wildlife lives in the ocean.
3. Over 70 percent of Earth’s oxygen is produced by the oceans.
4. About 5 percent of the United States’ land area is covered by ocean water.
5. The sun is what causes the ocean to appear blue.
6. The deepest part of the ocean is the Mariana Trench. It is in the South Pacific Ocean. It is seven miles deep.
7. The bottom water pressure in the Mariana Trench is eight tons per square foot. That is, it can crush you with this pressure.
8. A coral automatically creates a shield to protect itself from sunlight. It is made of coral pigments. These pigments protect the algae that live on the coral from sunlight.
9. The world’s largest mountain range is under the sea. Means Mediterranean mountain peak. Its length is 40,390 miles.
10. The sound created by the glacier has been recorded as the loudest sound in the world. The sound was recorded in 1997 and titled “The Bloop”. This sound can be heard even over a distance of 3000 miles.
11. The ice in the sea is drinkable. It can be consumed after the saltwater in the ice has settled.
12. 90 percent of the world’s volcanic eruptions occur at sea.
13. Studies show that there are more than 3 million shipwrecks at sea.
14. The ocean is said to hold more artifacts than all the museums in the world combined.
15. 1 percent of the ocean is covered by coral reefs. The Great Barrier Reef is located in the Pacific Ocean off the northern coast of Australia.
16. It has 33,000 coral reefs and 300 coral reef islands.
17. It can be seen from space. This coral system is made up of billions of microscopic organisms.
18. 14 percent of the Earth’s protein comes from the ocean.
19. The longest whale in the world is 108 feet long. Its height is the height of an 11-story building.
20. Only 5 percent of the ocean floor is represented on the map.
21. There are more than 400 species of sharks in the ocean.
22. Because of the presence of oceans on our Earth, we call the Earth the elongated planet.
23. Seawater is salty because water from rivers passes over minerals in rocks when it enters the sea.
24. Whatever we put in the dead sea, will float. Because the density of salt in that sea is high.
Thank you for reading these Interesting Facts about Oceans/Seas. We hope today you know something useful!
Images Credit: pixabay.com